We all know about how we should be wearing a face mask (or face masks, considering the benefits of double-masking) to protect us from getting or spreading Covid-19. But the question is, “Are we wearing our face masks correctly for it to effectively protect us?”
2 IMPORTANT WAYS TO MAKE SURE YOUR MASK WORKS EFFECTIVELY
Make sure your mask fits snugly against your face
Gaps can let air with respiratory droplets leak in and out around the edges of the mask.
Pick a mask with layers to keep your respiratory droplets in and others’ out
A mask with layers will stop more respiratory droplets from getting inside, or escaping from your mask if you are sick.
Here are some Do’s and Don’ts during mask use recommended by the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (US CDC): -
DO1. Choose a mask with a nose wire
- A nose wire is a metal strip along the top of the mask.
- It prevents air from leaking out of the top of your mask when you bend it over your nose to ensure a close fitting to your face.
2. Use a mask fitter or brace
- Use a mask fitter or brace on top of a medical-grade mask to prevent air from leaking around the edges of the mask.
- Use a cloth mask on top of a medical-grade mask to prevent air from leaking around the edges of the mask.
4. Check that mask fits well over nose, mouth and chin
- Check for gaps by cupping your hands around the outside edges of the mask.
- Make sure no air is flowing from the area near your eyes or from the sides of the mask.
- If the mask has a good fit, you will feel warm air come through the front of the mask and may be able to see the mask material move in and out with each breath.
5. Knot and tuck ear loops of a 3-ply medical-grade mask
- Knot the ear loops of a 3-ply medical-grade mask where they join the edge of the mask.
- Fold and tuck the unneeded material under the edges.
6. Other things to consider
- Certain types of facial hair, like beards, can make mask fitting difficult. If you have a beard, you can do one or more of the following:
- Shave your beard
- Trim your beard close to your face
- Use a mask fitter or brace
DON'T1. Combine 2 medical-grade masks
- Medical-grade masks are not designed to fit tightly and wearing more than one will not improve fit.
2. Combine an N95 mask with any other mask
- Only use one N95 mask at a time.
Get any face mask to suit your needs here at SM Health Care!
Again, take good care and stay safe from Covid-19.