Infants are first introduced to probiotic bacteria when they pass through the vaginal canal during childbirth. The gut flora of a child greatly depends on the gut flora of the mother—in fact, the mother passes her gut microbiome to her child. If the mother is on antibiotics or has an imbalanced level of beneficial to harmful bacteria, chances are her children will also have the same imbalance. This is one of the reasons why giving probiotic supplements to children is very essential. If a child is born through C-section, he or she will not be introduced to good gut flora and will be in need of probiotic supplements. 
Your body is home to billions of organisms like bacteria, fungi and yeasts. Most of these organisms are harmless and many help your body work properly — they form what’s called the human microbiome.
“Probiotics are some of the helpful ‘good bacteria’ that make up your microbiome,” explains Dr. Drass. 
Can Children Take Probiotics?
So, can children take probiotics?
The answer is a big YES!
In fact, probiotics will boost your child’s health in many ways.
Benefits Of Probiotics
- Digestive health
- Immune system function
- Ease symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome and inflammatory bowel disease
- Ease side effects of taking antibiotics
- Reduce risk of developing autoimmune diseases
- Reduce risk of developing allergies
- Reduce risk of developing asthma
Are Probiotics Safe For Children?
Probiotics are considered safe for children — with some exceptions as it might put them at risk for infections, notes Dr. Drass. 
You should avoid giving your child probiotics if they have/are:
- Compromised immune system
- Premature infant
Dr. Sanghavi recommends parents wait until a child is at least 1 year of age before giving probiotics. 
Probiotics for children available at SM Health Care Sdn Bhd:
3 Billion CFU Probiotics
- Lactobacillus acidophilus LA-5: 31.25mg
- Bifidobacterium lactis BB-12: 50mg
- Inulin powder (derived from chicory root): 2240mg
- No preservatives
- No artificial colours and flavours
- Available in 3 different sizes - 10’s, 50’s, 100’s
In conjunction with Children’s Day, we’re giving a 20% discount for children’s probiotics! Take a look at our ongoing promotion now. Click here!