Face masks are essential to reduce the risk of transmission of the COVID-19 virus.
But did you know that the way you store your face mask, and put on or remove the face mask also plays a big part in making sure that you don’t contract the virus? If you don’t maintain the hygiene practices when storing your face mask or when putting on or removing a face mask, your efforts to protect yourself from the virus by wearing a face mask would be nullified.
HOW TO STORE YOUR FACE MASK HYGIENICALLY
- If you are taking off your mask to eat or drink outside of your home, you can always store your mask temporarily to reuse later. Simply remove your mask correctly and wash your hands after touching a used mask.
- Keep it clean in between uses by storing it in your pocket, purse, paper bag, or a dry, breathable bag to keep it clean.
- Make sure to wash or sanitize your hands after removing your mask.
- When reusing your mask, it is very important that you make sure to keep the same side facing out.
- Also make sure to wash or sanitize your hands again after putting your mask back on.
HOW TO PUT ON AND REMOVE FACE MASK SAFELY
When Putting On The Face Mask
- Make sure your hands are clean by washing your hands or using a hand sanitizer before putting on your mask.
- Put the mask over your nose and mouth and secure it under your chin.
- Fit the mask snugly against the sides of your face, slipping the loops over your ears or tying the strings behind your head.
When Removing The Face Mask
- Untie the strings behind your head or stretch the ear loops.
- Handle only by the ear loops or ties (as the surface of the mask would have been contaminated).
- Fold outside corners together.
- Place the washable mask in the washing machine or dispose the disposable mask in the trash.
- Be very careful not to touch your eyes, nose, and mouth when removing your mask, and wash your hands immediately after removing.
At SM Health Care, we’ve got various face masks to suit your needs.
Take care and stay safe from COVID-19!