Indian Ayurveda refers to ginger as a wonder spice that has the ability to alleviate and cure a variety of illnesses while Chinese medicine recommends ginger for warming or restoring hot energy, known as Yang. In recent years, Westerners have also included this spice in their treatments. Ginger thrives in warm and damp areas, therefore most of the world's ginger is produced in Asia, including Malaysia.
Picture by Sentot Setyasiswanto via Unsplash
What is it about ginger that makes it so great?
Ginger is rich in a phytonutrients compound known as gingerols. Gingerols contribute to many of the health benefits that we get from ginger.
Here are some of the benefits of gingerols. ,
HEALTH BENEFITS OF GINGEROLS
1. Antibacterial Properties
- Prevents growth of bacteria like E. coli and shingella, which causes intestinal infection.
- Prevents contracting viruses like Respiratory Syncytial Virus (RSV), lungs and respiratory tract infections.
- Prevents growth of oral bacteria, which causes serious gum infection.
Picture by Street Og' via Unsplash
- Antioxidants help to fight off free radical damage and are essential for the rebuilding of our cells and tissues.
- Antioxidants are important to help our body fight off chronic diseases such as high blood pressure, heart disease, and cancer.
- Antioxidants are also key to prevent premature aging.
Picture by Josefin via Unsplash
3. Anti-Inflammatory Properties
- Chronic inflammation can occur as a response to unwanted substances in the body, such as excess fat.
- In our arteries, inflammation helps to kick off atherosclerosis or the buildup of cholesterol-rich, fatty plaque. The body perceives this plaque as abnormal and foreign, so it attempts to wall off the plaque from the flowing blood. The contents then mingle with blood, forming a clot that blocks blood flow. These clots are responsible for the majority of heart attacks and most strokes.
- Anti-inflammatory properties of gingerols help to reduce inflammation caused by oxidative stress.
Inflammation also causes swelling. The anti-inflammatory properties make ginger helpful for treating symptoms of rheumatoid arthritis and osteoarthritis, as it gives a relief from pain and swelling.
Picture by Cristiano Pinto via Unsplash
4. Treat Nausea
- Ginger gets its pungency, aroma and flavour from gingerols.
- The smell and taste of ginger helps to relieve nausea and vomiting.
- It effectively prevents various types of nausea, including chemotherapy-related nausea, nausea after surgery, and especially effective against morning sickness.
Picture by Freestocks via Unsplash
OTHER HEALTH BENEFITS OF GINGER
1. Improve Digestion
- Ginger helps to alleviate symptoms of indigestions such as pain and discomfort in the upper stomach, bloating, and flatulence.
- This is because ginger helps to speed up the emptying of the stomach.
Picture by Dominik via Unsplash
2. Relieve Menstrual Pain
- Dysmenorrhea - pain during the menstrual cycle - occurs in about as many as 9 out of 10 women.
- Ginger greatly helps to relieve pain during menstrual cycles and can be as effective as your usual over-the-counter painkiller.
Picture by Jonathan Borba via Unsplash
SM HEALTH CARE LE’ZINGER GINGER TEA
SM Health Care carries a wide variety of le’zinger Ginger Teas. Our range of Ginger Teas are made from premium, high quality ginger from Bentong, Malaysia and we use a trusted recipe that has been handed down for generations in a Malaysian family. Made into powder to preserve its nutritional benefits without artificial preservatives, our Ginger Teas are conveniently packed either in sachets or glass bottles. It’s easily soluble in water so all you’ve got to do is mix it with water and it’s ready to drink!
Head over here to find out about le’zinger Ginger Teas!
- Le'zinger Pure Bentong Ginger Extract
- Le'zinger Pure Bentong Ginger & Lemongrass Extract
- Le'zinger Pure Bentong Ginger, Lemongrass & Turmeric Extract
- Le'zinger Ginger Lemongrass with Organic Cane Sugar & Molasses
- Le'zinger Ginger Red Dates with Organic Cane Sugar & Molasses
- Le'zinger Soya Ginger (Sugar-Free)
- Le'zinger Soya Ginger (with Brown Sugar)
- Le'zinger Ginger Assorted Pack
Great Post! Concise but so informative, I feel like I’ve learnt a lot. Keep it up!