If you have recently undergone ostomy surgery, you might be concerned about what to wear and how your clothing choices might be affected. But don't worry! Having an ostomy doesn't mean you have to give up your favorite clothes or compromise on style. With some modifications and adjustments, you can create a wardrobe that is both functional and fashionable.
Fashion Ideas For Ostomates
1. Oversized Shirts
Try shirts or tops that are fashionably oversized, loose, or come to the hip to cover up your ostomy bag as it fills. Keeping the shirt untucked may also allow freer movements and provide maximum comfort.
2. Tunics & Dresses
After ostomy surgery, longer tunics or dresses paired with leggings or slip shorts can be both comfortable and stylish. Slip shorts can help provide a smooth silhouette when wearing dresses, giving you added confidence. These options can help you feel comfortable and confident, without worrying about your ostomy bag being noticeable.
Play with layers and add on outerwear pieces that create your fashion statement! Wear your tops with jackets, sport coats, or cardigans that can provide additional coverage to keep your ostomy bag discreet. By layering clothing, you can easily adjust your outfit for any occasion.
4. Patterned Clothing
Clothing with patterns can help camouflage any visible outlines of your ostomy bag, freeing you from self-consciousness and constant worry. Choose patterned tops, bottoms, and dresses to create an optical illusion that tricks the eye. This way, you won't have to constantly adjust your clothing to keep the ostomy bag discreet.
5. Darker Clothing
When it comes to dressing with an ostomy bag, choosing clothes in darker colors can be a smart choice. Like patterned clothing, darker tops, bottoms, and dresses can help conceal the visible outlines of your ostomy bag, providing you with the confidence you need to go about your day. Additionally, darker colors can also be useful in covering up any unexpected leaks that may occur.
- Look for jeans made with 1 or 2 % spandex to help accommodate your ostomy bag without restriction. A little bit of stretch can go a long way.
- Don’t be afraid to wear something more form fitting, as more frequent ostomy bag emptying can help keep a flatter profile and boost your confidence.
- Make sure your clothes are not too tight around the ostomy bag, allowing it to drain easily and expand as it fills. Be careful that waistbands do not rest below the stoma, restricting ability to drain into your ostomy bag.
- Depending on stoma placement, you may feel more comfortable with high- or low-rise waistband items like underwear, jeans, or activewear. Trying different waist heights can help you find the rise that works best for your body.
- Choose natural, breathable materials like cotton or bamboo that can be gentler on your skin and feel more comfortable throughout the day.
After ostomy surgery, feeling comfortable and confident in your wardrobe choices is important. When your ostomy bag is secure and you feel comfortable in what you're wearing, you are more likely to feel confident and positive about your appearance. So don't be afraid to wear items that make you feel good and reflect your personality. Remember, confidence is the best thing you can wear after ostomy surgery!